Topeka Fire Department advises people on the safety of backup heaters


TOPEKA (KSNT) – Temperatures are dropping, which means many people are looking for ways to heat their homes. Radiators are a commonly used tool to accomplish this, but they can be dangerous if not used properly.

The Topeka Fire Department said fires caused by radiators are quite common in winter. There are some things people can do to prevent this from happening.

  • Never buy a used radiator. It is too unreliable and could cause a fire hazard depending on its age.
  • Make sure the radiator cord is in good condition so not frayed or broken.
  • Plug the heater directly into the wall. Never use an extension cord.
  • Keep the heater at least three feet away from anything that could catch fire.

Firefighters also said to make sure the home’s smoke detectors are working and to have them checked regularly.

“During the winter months when the majority of fires happen, they’re related to heaters and different types of things,” said Chris Herrera, shift supervisor at the Topeka Fire Department. “You’ll probably want to check them at least twice a month just to make sure they’re working.”

If you need a smoke detector, Topeka Fire will install one for free. For more information, click here.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.