One week left to update applications for child benefit after 16 years

As young people consider their future beyond their GCSE or Scottish National Certificate results, HMRC asks parents and guardians to ensure they update their Child Benefit records by August 31 or risk seeing their payments terminated.

HMRC wrote to 1.3 million parents and guardians of children in their final year of school or education reminding them to update their Child Benefit records. More than 600,000 families have already notified HMRCbut many have not yet done so.

Parents and guardians can update their child benefit records using their personal tax account on GOV.UK, by returning a completed copy of the form sent to them earlier in the year, or by telephone.

Angela MacDonald, HMRCThe Deputy Director General and Second Permanent Secretary of , said:

Child Benefit provides vital financial support to families and we want to make sure no one misses out because they haven’t updated their details in time.

The fastest way to notify HMRC is through your personal online tax account, or search ‘child benefits when your child turns 16’ on GOV.UK for more information or other options for contacting us.

Child benefit is paid to eligible parents or guardians who are responsible for a child under the age of 16, or under the age of 20 if they are in full-time non-tertiary education or approved training. This includes A Levels / Scottish Highers, NVQs up to Level 3 or certain work placements – check GOV.UK for a list of approved courses and training programmes.

More information

Visit GOV.UK to find out more about Child Benefit for 16-19 year olds

A list of full-time non-advanced courses and approved courses can be found on GOV.UK. It does not include university degrees or the equivalent, as these are considered “advanced” studies.

If the parents or guardians have an income of over £50,000 (or their partner has one) and receive child benefit, they may have to pay the high income child charge via an annual car tax return -Evaluation. More information on this can be found at GOV.UK.

Child benefit is £21.80 per week for a first child and £14.45 for each additional child. There is no limit to the number of children you can apply for. Applying for child benefits also ensures that you are entitled to National Insurance Credits, which contribute to your state pension and can, in certain circumstances, be transferred to a grandparent or another member of the family. family that helps with child care – known as Specified Adult Child Care Credits (SACC).

The government offers household assistance – check online to find out what cost-of-living assistance you may be eligible for.

Comments are closed.