Indonesia scores in overtime to defeat Singapore in Suzuki Cup semi-finals

Singapore (AFP) – Indonesia scored twice in overtime to defeat eight-man Singapore 4-2 at the City’s National Stadium on Saturday as they reached the AFF Suzuki Cup final for the sixth time.

The hosts missed an opportunity to win the semi-final when Faris Ramli missed a penalty in stoppage time and Indonesia took advantage of the extra 30 minutes as Irfan Jaya and Egy Maulana Vikri scored against the tired Lions.

The Indonesians have never won the competition, but they will have their chance to end their drought in next week’s final against Thailand or Vietnam.

The Thais hold a two-goal lead after the tie’s first leg.

After a 1-1 draw in the first leg, Indonesia took the lead after 11 minutes when Witan Sulaeman took advantage of a poor defense to line up the ball and allow Ezra Walian to kick home.

Ricky Kambuaya shot just over the crossbar and Ramai Rumakiek’s free kick was stopped by Hassan Sunny as the Garuda tried to use their advantage.

Singapore suffered a big blow in stoppage time when Safuwan Baharudin was controversially sent off after receiving a second yellow card following a scuffle with an Indonesian defender.

But the Lions were immediately back on track as Indonesia struggled to clear Shahdan Sulaiman’s free kick and Song Ui-young shot home after a scramble in the goal.

Indonesia nearly restored their lead when Rizky Ridho shot against the crossbar on time and they were given an extra boost when Irfan Fandi also received a red card for knocking down Irfan Jaya as he scored the goal.

But Singapore’s nine seized the opportunity and took the lead in the 74th minute when Shahdan Suleiman curled up to a stunning free kick from 20 yards.

Indonesia took advantage of their two-man advantage as Pratama Arhan brought the ball home three minutes from time to tie again.

Singapore still had a chance to win the game in regulation time when they awarded a penalty at the last minute, but Faris’ subdued effort was held up by goalkeeper Nadeo Argawinata.

The home side would regret the missed opportunity as Irfan handed the ball over at close range in the first minute of extra time before Egy added another late in the first period to give Indonesia two goals in advance.

The locals fought valiantly, but were reduced to eight when Hassan was sent off in the last minute of extra time for a foul outside his box.

Comments are closed.