‘Happening’, ‘Annette’, ‘The worst person in the world’ triumph at Lumières | News
The Golden Lion of Venice by Audrey Diwan Event won Best Film at the 27th edition of the Prix Lumière France on Monday evening, while its star Anamaria Vartolomei received the award for best actress.
Adapted from the semi-autobiographical work of the French writer Annie Ernaux in 2019, Event recounts the fight of a student gifted in literature to have an abortion in 1964, 11 years before the legalization of abortion in France in 1975.
It marks a first starring role for Vartolomei, whose previous credits include How to be a good wife and The royal exchange. Vartolomei is also one of European Film Promotion’s 10 European Shooting Stars for 2022.
The Lumière prizes were awarded this year by 95 international correspondents from 36 countries.
In other awards, Leos Carax won Best Director for Musical Anette. The film also won Best Soundtrack for Ron and Russell Mael of pop group Sparks; and Best Cinematography for Caroline Champetier.
The literary adaptation of Xavier Giannoli lost illusions, which garnered the most nominations in the first round of voting, won Best Screenplay.
Best first film for Fanny Liatard and Jérémy Trouilh Gagarin, about a teenager who embarks on a mission to save the Parisian building he has called home all his life when it is slated for demolition.
The best international co-production went to Joachim Trier The worst person in the world, which is also on the list of the best In international film category of the Oscars this year, and the long list of Baftas in the same category.
In other interpretation awards, Benoît Magimel won the best actor award for his performance in Emmanuelle Bercot Peaceful like a man living in denial of his terminal illness, facing Catherine Deneuve as his mother.
Agathe Rouselle won Best New Actress for her role as a psychopathic serial killer in Julia Ducournau’s Palme d’Or at Cannes Titanium; and Thimotée Robart won the Best New Actor award for his role in Vincent Maël Cardona in magnetic beats, against a backdrop of French pirate radio from the 1980s.
In the other categories, the best animated film goes to Patrick Imbert The Summit Of The Gods, about a Japanese journalist who climbs Everest to solve the mystery surrounding the disappearance of British mountaineer George Mallory and his compatriot Andrew Irvine during their 1924 expedition. The Velvet Queen won Best Documentary Feature.
Lumières 2022 nominations and winners
- Anette, dir. Leos Carax
- Peaceful, dir. Emmanuelle Bercot
- Event, dir. Audrey Diwan
- lost illusions, dir. Xavier Giannioli
- Onoda, 10,000 nights in the jungle, dir. Arthur Harari
- Jacques Audiard, Paris, 13th arrondissement
- Leos Carax, Anette
- Audrey Diwan, Event
- Xavier Giannioli, lost illusions
- Author Harari, Onoda, 10,000 nights in the jungle
- Antoine Baraud, Madeleine Collins
- Leila Bouzid, A story of love and desire
- Catherine Corsini, The divide
- Xavier Giannioli, lost illusions
- Arthur Harari, Vincent Poymiro, Onoda, 10,000 nights in the jungle
- Suliane Brahim, the swarm
- Virginia Efira, Benedetta
- Valerie Lemercier, A line
- Sophie Marceau, Everything went well
- Anamaria Vartolomei, Event
- Damien Bonnard, the restless
- Andre Dussollier, Everything went well
- Vincent Lindon, Titanium
- Benoit Magimel, Peaceful
- Benjamin Neighbor, lost illusions
Best New Actress
- Zbeida Belhajamor, A story of love and desire
- Aissatou Diallo Sagna, The divide
- Daphne Patakia, Benedetta
- Agatha Roussel, Titanium
- Lucia Zhang, Paris, 13th arrondissement
Best New Actor
- Alséni Bathily, Gagarin
- Abdel Bendaher, Ibrahim
- Sami Outalbali, A story of love and desire
- Thimotee Robart, magnetic beats
- Makita Samba, Paris, 13th arrondissement
Best First Film
- Gagarin, dir. Fanny Liatard, Jeremy Trouilh
- Ibrahim, dir. Samir Guesmi
- magnetic beats, dir. Vincent Mael Cardona
- the swarm, dir. Just Philippot
- Sky of Lebanon, dir. Chloe Mazlo
- Nine days in Raqqa, dir. Xavier de Lausanne
- Delphine and Carole, dir. Callisto McNulty
- gallant indies, dir. Philippe Beziat
- Booth, dir. Alexandra Pianelli
- The Velvet Queen, dir. Marie Amiguet, Vincent Munier
Best Animated Film
- The Adventures of Pil, dir. Julien Fournet
- Princess Dragon, dir. Anthony Roux, Jean-Jacques Denis
- The summit of the gods, dir. Patrick Imbert
- The passage, dir. Florence Miailhe
- Around the world in 80 days, dir. Samuel Tourneux
Best International Co-production
- February, dir. Kamen Kalev
- Petrov flu, dir. Kirill Serebrennikov
- The worst person in the world, dir. Joachim Treves
- The father, dir. Florian Zeller
- Christophe Beaucarne, lost illusions
- Romain Carcanade the swarm
- Caroline Champetier, Anette
- Tom Harari, Onoda, 10,000 nights in the jungle
- Laurent Tangy, Event
- Amine Bouhafa, The summit of the gods
- Warren Ellis, Nick Cave, The Velvet Queen
- Evgueni Galperine, Sacha Galperine, Amine Bouhafa, Gagarin
- Ron Mael, Russell Mael, Sparks, Anette
- Jim Williams, Titanium